It is clear on Al-Zarqawi´s own words - a text found in his safe-house (through Jerusalem Post).
"The situation and conditions of the resistance
in Iraq have reached a point that requires a review of the events and
of the work being done inside Iraq. Such a study is needed in order
to show the best means to accomplish the required goals, especially
that the forces of the National Guard have succeeded in forming an
enormous shield protecting the American forces and have reduced
substantially the losses that were solely suffered by the American
forces. This is in addition to the role, played by the Shi'a (the
leadership and masses) by supporting the occupation, working to
defeat the resistance and by informing on its elements.
As an overall picture, time has been an element
in affecting negatively the forces of the occupying countries, due to
the losses they sustain economically in human lives, which are
increasing with time. However, here in Iraq, time is now beginning to
be of service to the American forces and harmful to the resistance
for the following reasons:
1. By allowing the American forces to form the
forces of the National Guard, to reinforce them and enable them to
undertake military operations against the resistance.
2. By undertaking massive arrest operations,
invading regions that have an impact on the resistance, and hence
causing the resistance to lose many of its elements.
3. By undertaking a media campaign against the
resistance resulting in weakening its influence inside the country
and presenting its work as harmful to the population rather than
being beneficial to the population.
4. By tightening the resistance's financial
outlets, restricting its moral options and by confiscating its
ammunition and weapons.
5. By creating a big division among the ranks of
the resistance and jeopardizing its attack operations, it has
weakened its influence and internal support of its elements, thus
resulting in a decline of the resistance's assaults.
6. By allowing an increase in the number of
countries and elements supporting the occupation or at least allowing
to become neutral in their stand toward us in contrast to their
previous stand or refusal of the occupation.
7. By taking advantage of the resistance's
mistakes and magnifying them in order to misinform.
Based on the above points, it became necessary
that these matters should be treated one by one:
1. To improve the image of the resistance in
society, increase the number of supporters who are refusing
occupation and show the clash of interest between society and the
occupation and its collaborators. To use the media for spreading an
effective and creative image of the resistance.
2. To assist some of the people of the resistance
to infiltrate the ranks of the National Guard in order to spy on them
for the purpose of weakening the ranks of the National Guard when
necessary, and to be able to use their modern weapons.
3. To reorganize for recruiting new elements for
4. To establish centers and factories to produce
and manufacture and improve on weapons and to produce new ones.
5. To unify the ranks of the resistance, to
prevent controversies and prejudice and to adhere to piety and follow
6. To create division and strife between American
and other countries and among the elements disagreeing with it.
7. To avoid mistakes that will blemish the image
of the resistance and show it as the enemy of the nation
In general and despite the current bleak
situation, we think that the best suggestions in order to get out of
this crisis is to entangle the American forces into another war
against another country or with another of our enemy force, that is
to try and inflame the situation between American and Iraq or between
America and the Shi'a in general.
Specifically the Sistani Shi'a, since most of
the support that the Americans are getting is from the Sistani Shi'a,
then, there is a possibility to instill differences between them and
to weaken the support line between them; in addition to the losses we
can inflict on both parties.
Consequently, to embroil America in another war
against another enemy is the answer that we find to be the most
appropriate, and to have a war through a delegate has the following
1. To occupy the Americans by another front will
allow the resistance freedom of movement and alleviate the pressure
imposed on it.
2. To dissolve the cohesion between the Americans
and the Shi'a will weaken and close this front.
3. To have a loss of trust between the Americans
and the Shi'a will cause the Americans to lose many of their spies.
4. To involve both parties, the Americans and the
Shi'a, in a war that will result in both parties being losers.
5. Thus, the Americans will be forced to ask the
Sunni for help.
6. To take advantage of some of the Shia elements
that will allow the resistance to move among them.
7. To weaken the media's side which is presenting
a tarnished image of the resistance, mainly conveyed by the Shi'a.
8. To enlarge the geographical area of the
9. To provide popular support and cooperation by
The resistance fighters have learned from the
result and the great benefits they reaped, when a struggle ensued
between the Americans and the Army of Al-Mahdi. However, we have to
notice that this trouble or this delegated war that must be ignited
can be accomplished through:
1. A war between the Shi'a and the Americans.
2. A war between the Shi'a and the secular
population (such as Ayad 'Alawi and al-Jalabi.)
3. A war between the Shi'a and the Kurds.
4. A war between Ahmad al-Halabi and his people
and Ayad 'Alawi and his people.
5. A war between the group of al-Hakim and the
group of al-Sadr.
6. A war between the Shi'a of Iraq and the Sunni
of the Arab countries in the gulf.
7. A war between the Americans and Iraq. We have
noticed that the best of these wars to be ignited is the one between
the Americans and Iran, because it will have many benefits in favor
of the Sunni and the resistance, such as:
1. Freeing the Sunni people in Iraq, who are (30
percent) of the population and under the Shi'a Rule.
2. Drowning the Americans in another war that will
engage many of their forces.
3. The possibility of acquiring new weapons from
the Iranian side, either after the fall of Iran or during the
4. To entice Iran towards helping the resistance
because of its need for its help.
5. Weakening the Shi'a supply line.
The question remains, how to draw the Americans
into fighting a war against Iran? It is not known whether American is
serious in its animosity towards Iraq, because of the big support
Iran is offering to America in its war in Afghanistan and in Iraq.
Hence, it is necessary first to exaggerate the Iranian danger and to
convince America and the west in general, of the real danger coming
from Iran, and this would be done by the following:
1. By disseminating threatening messages against
American interests and the American people and attribute them to a
Shi'a Iranian side.
2. By executing operations of kidnapping hostages
and implicating the Shi'a Iranian side.
3. By advertising that Iran has chemical and
nuclear weapons and is threatening the west with these weapons.
4. By executing exploding operations in the west
and accusing Iran by planting Iranian Shi'a fingerprints and
5. By declaring the existence of a relationship
between Iran and terrorist groups (as termed by the Americans).
6. By disseminating bogus messages about
confessions showing that Iran is in possession of weapons of mass
destruction or that there are attempts by the Iranian intelligence to
undertake terrorist operations in America and the west and against
Let us hope for success and for God's help."