Monday, November 29, 2004

U2's new "bomb" : an unforgettable fire



A long time ago, in 1987, I bought a LP *it was called "Long Playing", at the time* of one of my favourite band, the new album called "The Joshua Tree" from the Irish band U2.

When I heard this for the first time, I realize what the expression "instant classic" meant. I never heard an album that caught me completely from teh very start. The opening sequence, starting with "Where the streets..." + "I Still Haven´t found..." + "With Or Without You" was simply outsanding. The rest of the album too.

But never an U2 album made me feel that way again...

Until now. "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is the best U2 album since "Joshua..."! But, of course, I had to listen at least two times before realize its beauty.
Althought it starts very poorly ("Vertigo" is a lousy song!!!) we have a little miracle right after it. "Miracle Drug" is worth the label "new classic". But we have more, "Sometimes You Can´t Make it on your own" is worth too.
At least four tracks has an subtle appeal that raise over and over each time you listen to it...

The soundscape of this album is tottaly eighties for me. It sounds like "Unforgettable Fire" , humble and earnest. It seems that U2 was tired of all masquerade from the 90's..

Bueno, wellcome home, cause HTDAAB is "a Sort of Homecoming"...

Here it goes the lyrics from Miracle Drug

No comments: